Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Production Pipeline: Progress

I have been gradually working on the Tiki-man model for the Blocks mobile game. One of the major struggles I have faced when working on the model is keeping to the extremely low poly-count. Because the game is being made for cell phones and other mobile devices in the unity engine, the character model must use as little polygons as possible. Working on the face, a major part of the model I initially was going to indent the mouth and eyes where they need to be. By removing the mouth and eyes and instead planning to use textures to color them and create the illusion of depth, I was able to significantly reduce the poly-count.

New reduced model compared to original plan.

This is the first time I have had to model with such strict poly limits. Hopefully I am able to keep the remainder of the Tiki-mans body simple enough to work for the game but still look good. I think using the textures for mouth and eyes will help optimize the model and also look better removing jagged edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment