Saturday, April 2, 2011

Production Pipeline: Tiki-Man Normaled

It has been a long week of texturing, sculpting, and normal mapping. I have completed the Tiki-man normals. The normal maps transferred better than I had even hoped. Also, I finished the staff that he will be holding. I have sent the files to Darkwind Media where they will rig and animate the model. The original plan of having them rig him and then me animate has changed. Because they need more assets for the game in a relatively tight time span, I will instead be finishing the colored Tiki-man textures and completing a number of other models for the game. Here is an image of the model with normals applied next to the exact same normal with a flat shaded wireframe.


On the left you can see the model with normal map and transparency map applied, the right side image is the actual geometry of the model. Normal maps are a fantastic way to add detail and and give depth to a much simpler model. From here I need to take the normal map and generate an actual colored texture for him.

Above you can see the combined normals which will give you a good sense of the UV layout on the model. The model was kept to a single UV map to optimize the process required to load the model and textures in a real time game engine.

Until next time,
-Doody

1 comment:

  1. Hey Evan, I was just wondering if you could show me the specifics of what you did to extract the normal maps for your Tiki character, as I am also using Mudbox for normal maps on my videogame assets for Production Pipeline. I would also love to know how you did your transparency maps...

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete